Thursday, October 23, 2008

Julie Zickefoose at RTPI

Here's a press release from the RTPI

RTPI Presents: Writer, Artist and Naturalist Julie Zickefoose

69 original works of art from her book

Letters From Eden

October 25, 2008 - January, 2009

Artist’s reception October 25th at 5:00 PM

Julie Zickefoose-writer, artist and naturalist

"I am a writer, artist and naturalist at home in the Appalachian foothills of Ohio...I have finally convinced myself that hiking in the woods is my work. Naturally, I love my job." - from Julie's bio at www.juliezickefoose.com

The Roger Tory Peterson Institute welcomes the artwork of Julie Zickefoose beginning on Saturday, October 25, 2008. This unique exhibit, based on her book entitled Letters From Eden, will give visitors a look into this exceptional compilation of essays and original artwork that document Julie’s experiences within nature, based on her daily walks and observations near her home in Southern Ohio.

An artist’s reception and free public program will be held at the Institute on October 25th starting at 5 PM.

A short biography, taken from Julie's website, www.juliezickefoose.com reads, "I am a writer, artist and naturalist at home in the Appalachian foothills of Ohio. Every day, I roam our 80-acre wildlife sanctuary, and every day I find something new. This deep relationship with the land is the wellspring for my writing and art. Since 1896, I've made a living from natural history illustration and writing. I'm writing and illustrating my own books now, providing commentary for National Public Radio, and bringing the natural world to many readers with a daily web log. I have finally convinced myself that hiking in the woods is my work. Naturally, I love my job."

Julie began her career as a field biologist for the Nature Conservancy. She eventually became a magazine and book illustrator. Then, her work shifted to illustrating her own stories, taken from experiences with wild birds and animals. She has had more than forty articles and seventeen cover paintings published by Bird Watcher's Digest magazine since 1986.

What others say about Julie...

“Julie's writing is like the song of a Swainson's Thrush: it's utterly natural, it's beautiful, and it climbs to a higher plane. I wish I could write like that.” - Kenn Kaufman, author of Lives of North American Birds and the Kaufman Focus Guide to North American Birds

“Step into Julie Zickefoose’s world, and you feel as if all your senses have come suddenly alive. Julie welcomes the reader on a vivid, vicarious journey out to the country. She’s wonderful company.” - Melissa Block, cohost of NPR’s All Things Considered

“It’s hard to say what part of Letters from Eden is more effortless and magical – Julie Zickefoose’s fluid writing or the drip and swirl of her watercolors and field sketches, which together bring the Appalachian foothills to surging, riotous, fascinating life. There is joy in this book, and humor, and a great deal of wisdom, the clear-eyed wisdom of a woman who knows the land in all its moods, hard and soft by turns, and always surprising. Letters from Eden is a glorious delight.” - Scott Weidensaul, author of Return to Wild America

Letters from Eden will be featured at RTPI through January, 2009.
Julie’s book is available in the RTPI Nature Store.

Visit Julie’s website at www.juliezickefoose.com .

For more information about this or other exhibits at RTPI call (716) 665-2473 ext. 232, 800-758-6841, visit www.rtpi.org , or email janejohnson@rtpi.org

The Roger Tory Peterson Institute is located at 311 Curtis Street in Jamestown.

No comments: